Saturday 7 February 2015

Cold, Crisp and now Sunny!

     I woke early this morning ... a writing idea had occurred to me during the night, and I was at my computer shortly before 6 a.m. ready to type. As well as quilting groups, I belong to the Darkside Writers' Bloc(k) ... (Darkside , I am told, is how many people from Halifax refer to Dartmouth.) We meet once a month, have random topics and go off and write. After accomplishing the NaNoWriMo challenge of November (writing 50,000 words in one month), my writing brain went on a hiatus. With "Crossing the HRM" at its end stage (I need to sew the label on), I can now work on other tasks.
     The extra quilting and adding the backing has helped to flatten the wall-hanging. I will need my daughter to show me how to take a better picture. The next quandary in this project is how to price it. Although I didn't watch the time carefully, I think each bridge, from start to finish took approximately 12 - 13 hours, plus the time to put the panels together and quilting the negative spaces (areas without bridges) and then to add the amount of fabric and thread.  Someone must have a formula or criteria that helps in evaluating one's work! (?)
     When I was writing earlier, a large bank of sea smoke (fog) crossed the harbour ... slowly enveloping the basin, the bridge, the ship docked at Pier 9, and then spreading across the field below my place. I am on the cusp of the fog spread ... on one side, my view becomes grey; the other side of the house is bathed in sunshine.  The sunshine has won this battle; the temperature has risen a few degrees, and it is time to venture outside.

Today's quilt addition is a crib quilt, "Sweet Dreams" that I made for my Granddaughter-to-be (due in a few weeks). The first feather quilted in the background was a bit of a problem. I drew it on tissue paper and then proceeded to follow the lines with the sewing machine. The feather turned out great .... getting all the bits of tissue paper out of the stitches took ages!! So the remaining feathers were freehand ... no two alike, whichever direction the sewing machine & I decided to go. :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment