Thursday 26 March 2015

Trying Something Different

I like Pinterest ... I actually go back through my pinned pictures and look for ideas that I might be able to incorporate in my work.
An idea intrigued me: taking photos of a work in progress and watching the picture take shape. But if you do that for EVERY piece of material you add, that is a LOT of photos!!

Background -- I will need to add some colouring to the gold/beige piece (it is meant to be deciduous trees changing colours in autumn). Some "thread-painting" should do it.
More background: adding some Canadian Shield rocks.

I have piles of greens to use for the trees. Sometimes though, the colours blend into each other and require some adjusting.
Circling around the lake ... it is really starting to look like northern Ontario (Algoma). And I've just realized in my zeal to get the photos done, that I forgot to quilt the lake before adding the extra set of trees. It is much easier to do the quilting without all the extra bits of trees sticking up in the way!
A bit more detail for the trees in the foreground.
The final bits of Canadian Shield rock (still wishing that I quilted that lake earlier!) This is inspired by the Group of Seven, J.E.H. MacDonald's painting "Solemn Land". His painting has more rusts and shadows in it .. I will see what transpires after I start choosing all my thread colours.
My favourite Group of Seven artist is Lawren Harris; I've yet to try a landscape quilt based on his pictures ... I am having trouble deciding which one I would like to do.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment