Friday 29 May 2015

Disappearing Hour Glass

Having completed the Disappearing Pinwheel, it is now time to try this again placing the half square triangles in a different order.
In the Jenny Doan YouTube video, she started with 10 inch layer cakes and made 1/4-square triangles. I already had a bunch of turquoise blocks cut at 8 inches so that is what I used. Cutting is basically the same as the Disappearing Pinwheel.
According to Ms Doan, divide the width of your block by 3 and cut the strips in 3 equal sections ... which I did for the first blocks, but my finished blocks were 10 inches square and divided by 3 makes each cut at 3-1/4" & a bit. (Well, actually it makes it 3-1/3" but there is no 1/3 marking on the ruler)

So I flipped the outside -corner blocks and then turned the centre square. Here's a thing to remember when sewing everything back together ... make sure the little triangle points in the corner squares are facing out .... obviously I had a couple of seam ripping-out sessions.
These blocks look pretty good together .... but, the cutting measurement of dividing the block in three was annoying SO I changed my mind on the cuts and the pattern.

This time, I cut 1-1/2 inches from the centre seam (so the centre piece is 3 inches and the outside pieces are a wee bit larger.)
And I rearranged the pieces in a different order by turning every single cut piece!!

Outside corner squares were flipped so the little triangles faced the outer corners; the middle 4-piece square was rotated one turn .... and then I flipped the 4 narrow pieces (centres of outer edges) so those little triangles faced in.
VOILA!!


A small star pattern with a 4-square in the centre!! I think I like this better than the first blocks I was making above. 
Time to add a few more blocks.

One way to organize the blocks ....
And another way to organize the blocks.

Not sure which way I will choose. It looks like I will have to add another fabric to the mix ... I think I will need about 80 blocks in total to make a quilt top and there is not enough fabric in the two pieces I am currently using ..... and no, it does not mean a trip to the fabric store. I have lots of 1/2 and 1 and 2 metre pieces in my stash that I should be able to mix and match.

2 comments:

  1. Hi. So pleased to have found this post. I came across a small pile of HST's that I'd made who knows when, and wondered what would happen if I simply sliced them in half and switched them about a bit, so seached for Disappearing HST's, and love the stars you came up with. Thankyou.
    Margaret in Pretoria, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome ... have fun flipping the cut sections about and coming up with some neat patterns.

    ReplyDelete