Sunday 28 June 2015

Rain & Sunshine

     It is rainy, grey and foggy today ... and yet in the studio the sun is shining; the new lights make such a difference.  I have spent a good part of the day cutting, piecing and sewing. I really should have changed the ceiling lights years ago ... who knows how much I would have accomplished!!

     I was able to find a close match for the binding for the peach-star quilt. The binding has been attached and needs to be hand-sewn; this may take a little while since I sprained my index finger on my right hand and I am finding it impossible to pull the needle through the material.

     The top for the Disappearing Hourglass quilt has been completed; I think I'll call it Blue Stars (& I was careful to make sure all the blocks were heading in the same direction!) I added the borders today so the quilt has a 8-inch drop on all sides; final size is 78" x 93". As soon as I decide on an appropriate backing, I will take it over to TLC Studio in Bedford to be machine-quilted.


     My 3rd project this weekend was a play mat for Charlotte ... a great way to use up scraps. The final project is 32" X 32"; the backing is flannelette. This is where I discovered that hand-sewing the binding doesn't work  ... I almost finished one side and realized that I would need to stop and 'ice' my index finger to get the swelling back down. The sewing machine is much quicker & easier; the mat will probably be washed a lot (baby drool, dog hair) so machine-stitching the binding is best.


     Now that these projects are almost out of the way, I can return to working on some art quilts: SAQA My Corner of the World!!

No comments:

Post a Comment