Thursday 11 June 2015

Statistics


     I have no idea who actually stops to look at this blog but Blogger.com keeps tabs of random information ... like how many people access the site from different search engines (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Explorer) or even from Operating Systems (Windows, Macintosh, iPads, Androids).  Those numbers don't interest me ... but what I do find fascinating is from which country the readers come (maybe that is the Geography teacher in me??)
     Anyway, countries that have checked this site out are: Canada, United States, United Kingdom (wish that could be broken down into specific countries), New Zealand, Australia, France, Russia, Romania, India, & Sweden.
Graph of most popular countries among blog viewers The darker the country, the more active the readers are, I guess.  Pretty neat stuff if you are into statistics!!

     This past weekend was a non-quilting weekend. I had the opportunity to attend a writing workshop with Donna Morrissey, author of Kit's Law, Sylvanus Now, Downhill Chance & several other books.   Donna is a bundle of energy and information; the workshop focused on Structure and Characters, and I love that her approach is different than mine ... always a chance to learn something new to incorporate into my own writing.
     The workshop was held on Brier's Island, the last island at the end of Digby Neck on the Nova Scotia side of the Bay of Fundy.
The tide was out ... this is the view from the window of the hostel I stayed in ... a rather wet, misty, grey evening when I arrived. I had hoped that I might get better pictures in the morning but the rain continued. I had originally thought I might get a chance to hike some of the area, but the morning came with rain and more mist & fog.
The lighthouse at the northern end of the island. There are reports of basalt rock columns similar to those at Giant's Causeway in Ireland, however they are located on private property and there is no access. Most of the village of Westport has large piles of basalt all along the waterfront to protect the shoreline.
To get to Brier's Island, it is necessary to take two ferries, very short rides; you pay to get on the island but you are 'free' to leave anytime. The island is best known for whale watching; I saw pictures of whales in the cove of the fishing village but did not observe any while I was there. A very remote place; it is not a place I would want to live in during the winter.



2 comments:

  1. The Russan, Romanian, etc hits are all spammers. Make sure that you never click on any of the referring sites - that's what they want you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least one Russian viewer is a relative of a friend of mine ... the rest, who knows? I'll keep in mind what you said about spammers, thanks.

    ReplyDelete