Sunday 2 August 2015

Crossing Harbour 2

     The Dartmouth ferry is almost done ... there is a small logo near the door/ramp that needs to be added. I am not totally happy with the sky yet, so I will let it sit for a bit while I work on the 2nd piece.

     I have not been working on this one as quickly as I first thought ... the sun is out and it is finally warm. I'd rather be outside sitting on the deck with a cool drink watching ships go by than sitting inside quilting.  At some point I need to get an estimate to get another window put in my studio space and then I can watch the harbour traffic from inside!
     The MacDonald bridge is still a work in progress: Large shrubs and trees will be added to the foreground at the base of the bridge. My photo shows the underside dark and in shadow but once I did the lower trusses in black and I was looking across at the MacKay bridge from the deck & realized that the underside is actually green (I should have remembered from the earlier bridge quilt that I did!) ... a quick car trip over to the MacDonald .... and yes, it is green too. I added lines of green along the black trusses ... hopefully it looks like shadows on green trusses.

     The next step is to add the orange cables to the far side of the bridge, add detail to the railings (grey strip area) and then the cables to the closer side. I still need to work on making the underside of the bridge on the far end a little more convincing.
     From the location I took the original photo, you cannot see the water but you can see the tops of a couple of roofs ... I am standing at the top of a hill.  I think I might take a bit of 'artist's license' and eliminate the roof tops. When I went back today to confirm the bridge colours, the nearby trees were fully in leaf and the roof tops are hardly visible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment