Sunday 16 August 2015

New Rules

I've decided to add two new rules for quilting.
1. When something is working, don't stop. When the bobbin runs out, don't take a break but refill it and keep going until you finish the section you are quilting.
2. When you return after taking a break and things stop working: stop, walk away from it and come back another time. No one should spend time taking out a bird's nest or realize that you adhered the next fusible piece to the wrong section.

     I've started to work on the 3rd piece for Crossing the Harbour. It still needs more top-stitching but the background is in place and the 3 chimneys of Tuft's Cove are ready to go.

     This bridge / chimney picture is bigger than the original I did for the SAQA Atlantic Canada show, so I have been able to add more detail to the houses and apartment buildings surrounding the power station. Most of the buildings should have the same colour brick, but I wanted more contrast between them. The red sections on the chimneys look a bit wonky up close; stitching over top will solve that problem (I hope). So far, I have drawn, cut and adhered 135 pieces to the background section. I am looking forward to having this part finished so I can start on the bridge.

     The "break" that I took yesterday (after the bobbin ran out of thread) was great ... I did a mini roadtrip: off to Avonport to pick up a 'few' pieces of fabric, across country on a highway that ended up near Chester, a side-trip over to Lunenburg to visit Laurie Swim's quilt gallery (I wanted to check closer how she quilted her skies & water ... can't wait to take her workshop the end of next month) and then on to Mahone Bay 'Suttles & Seawinds' to check on fabric, quilts & clothing,  a couple stops at antique shops and finally a stop in at Sheila's Fish & Chips in Hubbards on my way home.  A worthwhile break even though today, my sewing machine decided it didn't want to cooperate.

No comments:

Post a Comment