Monday 24 August 2015

Two shy of 1000

     By tomorrow 1000 people in 16 different countries will have looked at this site ... who knows, maybe even by the end of today. That's kind of neat! :-)

     The past week and a half has had very muggy weather ... everything sticks. The material won't glide smoothly on the sewing machine, material sticks to the rotary cutter and the cutting board, paper used for making templates wilts in my hand. It feels like I could just reach my hand up and squeeze the air and rain drops would be produced.

     I've added more detail to the MacKay Bridge ... the bridge itself took approximately 5 hours to complete, in small bits of time since it was too humid to sit anywhere for any length of time.
     I like the clouds/sky better in this picture than in one of the others I am working on.
Still not totally satisfied with the smoke stacks (by the way, an electrical storm on Saturday late afternoon & again early on Sunday morning managed to hit the power station & a transformer knocking out power twice for most of the city and surrounding area.) I live just to the left of those chimneys .... the night explosion scared the crap out of me!)
     Anyway, back to quilting .... I think the problem of the chimneys is the red fabric: after I satin-stitched the edges I noticed the fabric was fraying a bit ... although a perfect colour, the weave is a little loose.  I should add shading with some gray thread to the smoke stacks.
     Several of my photos of the bridge had the bow of a large ship sticking out close to the bridge footings ... I eliminated that so the buildings could be shown coming down the hill.
     My daughter came by for a 'colour consulation'.  I always like it when we pull out several pieces of fabric to use for sashing and borders and end up choosing something pretty similar. She has an Arts degree and a really good sense of colour  ... its good to know I am on the right track!

No comments:

Post a Comment