Thursday 19 November 2015

Black Rocks

    I am currently working on a piece which will hopefully be entered in the SAQA show called "My Corner of the World" ... haven't got a title for it yet. One of many picturesque sites in Nova Scotia is Peggy's Cove ... a place where, even with signs that say 'Stay off the black rocks', invariably a tourist gets swept into the water by rogue waves every year. Many do not survive. There is a debate on how to make the place safer without ruining the whole nature of Peggy's Cove. 
     In Nova Scotia (and likely all the maritime provinces) black rocks signify wet rocks. If a wave has already crashed on the wet, black rock you are standing on, then it will most certainly do it again.
     But ... the tourists are not from here.  What is the possibility that they don't understand the meaning of the signs??? Before I moved here, black rocks meant basalt, coal or even chromite. Even if a rock may appear black when it is wet, it does not mean it is a black rock.  Something to think about.

     So ... there are black rocks in my quilt; the tide had just started to go out. And this section along the rock pile is what I am most pleased about ... using a combination of dark brown and black threads & a variety of grey fabric, I have created my own east coast 'black rocks'!
     It is hard to decide how much tiny detail needs to added ... when to put in more or just stop!  When I took the photo, you could see waves breaking on a rocky shoreline on the far side of the bay, but I decided that a small bit looked better than all the way across.
     At the moment, I am still working on the shading of boats .... how much or not enough?? I have already taken out shading on one edge of the rust-coloured boat .... didn't like the look of it, so I will have to stare at the piece for awhile to decide what, if anything, needs to happen. Not sure if I like the bottom of the cream-coloured boat either. Hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment