Friday 1 January 2016

A good start to the New Year

     On the last day of 2015, I received a wonderful email from SAQA .... and it was too early to call my daughter in Ontario or to share the news with my daughter here in Dartmouth (in case the baby actually slept in, I wasn't going to be responsible in waking her up!!). 
     I had entered two art quilts in My Corner of the World-Canada and one of them made it! I shared the news on our local SAQA FB site hoping that another member was an early riser and also had good news too.
     For those who like statistics (I do): 115 pieces were submitted by 73 artists and 40 have been chosen for the cross-Canada show. At last count, 7 from our SAQA-Atlantic group had work accepted. How awesome is that!!
     My first piece: "Crossing the Harbour" was not accepted. It shows the Mackay and Macdonald bridges of Halifax - Dartmouth, NS, as well as the Dartmouth ferry. The final piece measures 27" X 49".
     "At Anchor" will be on its way to Stratford Ontario where the art quilt show will start. It is two fishing dorries (boats) in Peggy's Cove, 32"X 24".  I was stuck for a name for this quilt, and my father came up with the suggestion ... works for me!!
     Sometimes I am really amazed at where I am headed in quilting and the fact that I get to work with some really talented art quilters / fibre artists.  I feel like a giant sponge absorbing all the techniques and methods. Hopefully I am giving as much as I am soaking in.

No comments:

Post a Comment